January 2, 2009

Hearing is believing

What is the one eeriest and spine-chilling moment that you'll ever imagine when picking up a phone call? Someone shouted vulgarly at the other end of line? A ghostly soprano singing, with sounds of wind gushing at background? Freddy Krueger scratching his metaled-fingers on the wall, whilst singing: One, two... Freddy'll come to you? Obscene sounds of male breathing... hush... hush....?
Not that I've read and watched too much of horror movies, but sometimes these things will just freak you up!

I picked up a call moments ago in the office. It was just after lunch. The phone was ringing (supposedly this extension should NOT ring) for some time, but no one heard it. When I placed the handset next to my ear, I instantly stood still with my eyes opened wide. There was a girl crying and wailing in high pitch sound on the other end of the line! She sounded very much in grief. She continued squealing for few more seconds.

Oikk! Stop it. My spine was already tingling the moment I picked up that call. Can you please stop for a moment and 'talk' to me! Thoughts kept running through my head. Shall I put the phone down? What is this ghost doing in broad daylight, calling the sales gallery? Could this be real with me with this paranormal encounter?

I kept holding on the handset. Then only I realized that she was trying to talk, but I could not hear a single word. After I repeated few times of hello hello... then only she murmured in Chinese: "Papa, papa, khuai lai jiu wo" (Papa, quick come and rescue me!). She kept repeating these words a few more times. Only then I realized that this 'might' not be a ghostly encounter.

I asked her where she was? She replied she does not know. Then I asked what is her phone number twice... then she silent herself, but still with slight humming of cries in her voice. Suddenly a thud was heard. And another man got hold of the phone and helloed for twice before hanging up the call himself.

After the short moments of the so-called ghostly encounter, it turned out to be a kidnapped kind of call. What could I do to help the little girl who spoke to me earlier? The phone was a land line and I'm thinking of how can I track back the caller. What would you do if you were me? Knowing that the girl sounded so pitiful, wanting so much to escape from whoever is with her. I could have been experiencing a real-life situation where seeing someone is kidnapped but unable to think of what can be done to help her. Will she be alive days from now on? Will she be able to contact her actual papa? Will she continue to live one happy life as other small cute kids do?

These questions will linger in my head for days I'm sure. My prayers will go for this small little girl and her family. May she be free from whatever situation that can endanger her life at this moment.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , ,

No comments: