January 11, 2009

Driving an 'expired' car

My car is already due for maintenance weeks ago. Since I was quite free last Saturday, I drove to Honda service center but ended up in another workshop and with a brand new set of tyres. The Honda showroom is packed with people that day! It could be the launch of their new model but hey, they have launched it weeks and weeks ago. Therefore, I failed to get my car oil changed. I should have listened to my wifey's instinct, asking me to call before going all the way to the service center. Ladies instincts are quite precise at times.

Driving my car around in her sick and expired condition, will in turn incur all sorts of costs to me, in time costs, financial costs, physically and mentally costs too! If the car breaks down half way from KL to Penang, these are likely to happen:

1. I will be stopping at the emergency lane with the hazard light on, safety triangle some 50m away but still risking myself and others of being run-down again and again by the I-am-Michael-Schumacher or I-am-Zig-Zagler lorry and bus drivers!

2. While waiting for the tow truck to come and pick us up, we'll either be sitting and sweating inside my car, or on the grass picnicking while enjoying the clouds of exhaust fumes of the speeding vehicles,

3. Due to the sweaty sessions, wifey will be annoyed, kids will start to cry, and their angry-ometer will start to rise,

4. I will be annoyed because all others are annoyed,

5. When the tow truck is here, I am pissed off for the long waiting period. We would exchange words loudly, and could end up fighting each other,

6. They towed my car away, leaving me with my family and lots of baggages stranded, hoping to catch a bus to continue our journey back from this god-knows-where place,

7. Reaching Penang, thinking about how to get my car back later, how much it will cost, how to get back to KL , and all of these will make me more agitated, I need to pop more pills to maintain the blood pressure, thus making my entire holidays filled with nothing lesser than upsets and upsets.


Thankfully I have got all the 4 tyres changed and although they cost quite a bomb, but it is well worth it. At least I have taken one step ahead to avoid the scenarios above. The handling is better now, the car gripped more on the road surface, lesser movements of body when cornering, lesser vibrations caused by the earlier worn out tyres, and other undescribed words by me-the-layman driver.

What is stil pending now is to get my oil and filter changed, some tweakings in the engine, and voila… I will be having the sensation and the sheer driving experience of a PlayStation-simulated Bentley Flying Spur or a Bugatti Veyron. Vroom vroom !

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: